who dies?

I know now. wont tell tho, dun worry. but how could she?! am devastated! I mean, what? well I guess thats the only logical person to kill off once you've announced to the world that someone's gonna die in this book... oh yeah - just finished reading HP & the half blood prince. and let me proudly announce that I guessed the identity of the much-talked-about hbp well before Rowling revealed it. but no, I didnt imagine the person who dies would be..

but enough moaning/ mourning. this book is different from rowling's earlier work in many ways... not only is it faster than the rest of the series but -
1. rowling's playing to an imaginary camera - the action sequences are more detailed, its more visual, its like she's helping you imagine it on big screen.
2. and she's obviously trying to catch the teen lingo of the times, but I wish she'd done more research than "just a mo" - she's put slang in several mouths that aren't quite used to it, and it comes off sounding a little unnatural. its also repetitive and tirsome.
3. its adult - lot of kissing, and dreaming of kissing - but I wish she'd found a better word than snogging - it reminds me of nose blocks and goo and dripping nostrils and snorting and... sorta makes me want to clean my nose and brush my teeth... but apart from the unfortunate terminology, the romance is also staccato... very contrived and sudden.
4. harry aint takin no shit from no one. he's makin up his own mind, wotcha know!

Overall, the book is a mishmash of thoughts. she knows the direction the story is moving and has drawn a dotted line from beginning to destination, with some entertainment along the way...
its funny in parts... still entertaining... but.... why am I not happy? ok, lunch awaits. more soon.

Comments

Maddie said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maddie said…
Harry Potter fan club ? :)

One of the few books that i am not lured to. Probably the fanfare, probably the settings. Somewho doesn;t sustain my interest :)

Oh Sacrilage! Do i get beaten up for being up against HP ? :):):)

And i am trying now to watch the LOTR. All three parts. And even there, i am not sure what would make these the greatest trilogy of all times....I salute the creativity, the work that has gone into the movie and the book.. but then, the greatest ? :)

Anti-establishment ? :):):)

hey, btw, have left a comment on your second post ( Magic Key) .. Wasn't sure if u read comments on your prev posts - and hence this note. :)

Me.
http://LowPriceEdition.blogspot.com
Karthik Narayan said…
hi... really nice yaar. am karthik, from chennai. gonne be 24 in five days! jul 26. i also blog, basically am a blogger, writer, quizzer..... id love to be frends with u>.. please do email me. waitin to hear from u. karthik.globalsoul@gmail.com
Karthik Narayan said…
visit my blogs at http://karthiknarayanparker.rediffblogs.com, http://naturevsman.rediffblogs.com
Twilight Fairy said…
D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are finally back aunty! well.. what do u mean 'public'? with a name like DD, it aint public or nething.. n yes, do increase the font size of ur blogs text..kinda squinting to read :p.. Havnt read HP as yet.
Deepa said…
fairy, is the font size better nw? small is beautiful, see :)

karthik, nature, eh? keep at it man. you seem to have a network of likeminded folks. are you all doing some proactive work in chennai - lemme know!

me, (its weird to call someone 'me'!! reminds me of 'mini me' - yes, the one and only) - tis a free country man! more on potter in my next post.
Arun said…
"arun arun arun!! am alive!"

Well, since I don't believe it, why dont you try proving it? Try some modern equipments - mebbe like telephones and electronic mails, just to give a hint!! :p
Arun said…
Havent read the latest one yet.

But earlier, I felt that the quality of the books had a downward trend from the beginning. Early books were really great. Goblet of Fire was mediocre. Order of Phoenix was awesome. I hope this one is better.

The right word I feel that can describe the first few books is - "wholesome". Order of Phoenix was half baked, stereotype, call anything you want and it fits.
Deepak Kaimal said…
So, the reason you were unhappy was because you were hungry?

And you seem pretty sure that "You know who" is "dead". To me the joyous singing of the phoenix at the funeral and the begging to be killed meant that there was probably something more to come :-)

I wonder if your dissatisfaction with the book does not come out of extremely high expectations built up over the past two years and from reading the book at super-speed to finish it before someone lets the climax out...

I kind of liked the book, it is getting more mature (as expected). And it does its job of elevating the reader into a fantasy land pretty well. For this once, I will let you live even though your opinion differs from mine :-)
Hedonisia said…
what's wrong with J K rowling.. she began on a semi-happy note and by the end of order of phoenix it was positively grim.. but as i have just begun reading the first chapter, i can't honestly say that i would want to cry my eyes out for the loss suffered by a fictional character.

she is already in the history books, right next to lewis caroll and tolkein and ursula le guin..

harry grew up in goblet of fire when he pulled out the dead cedric from the portkey.. he just didn't realise it till he faced with death of sirius too...

harry is one of us - or rowling succeeds in making him one of us and that's the best about the series of this writing.. will write once i read the whole book..

Most loved posts