My Magic Key

On clear winter nights in Pune, loafing in the campus grounds, my favourite pastime was to watch the skies. A different Universe I thought. All those stars and galactic dust... and all that mysterious darkness. Long hours spent flopped on the lawn staring up, awed at the ever changing panorama of those glittering beings... all winking at each other with some secret smile... and I wondered, thats the secret wink of the Universe... the knowledge so eternally hidden from us...

And then one day, I spotted it. A small cluster of diamonds. Quietly conversing in their own corner. In the unmistakeable form of a Key! There it is, I thought. At long last. The Key to the Secrets of the Universe. And I found it - my own magic Key. If I could only reach out and touch that key.... but it was enough that it was there... somewhere in a quiet corner of the Universe. The answer to everything. And I was joyous! Every night I would lie down at my favourite position on the lawn and watch for the key... On lonely walks from the mess hall to the hostel, I would look up for the key and feel happy. And when those blues hit me, I would seek refuge in the blackness and the key.

Then I hit upon this astronomy book in the library... and located all my favourite constellations - learned to read the Scorpio (my sign!), the Cancer, the Leo, the Archer... and then I came to Taurus - and there it was! My key! It was called the Plaeides constellation. The Plaeides is made up of the seven sisters - Electra, Celaeno, Taygeta, Maia, Merope, Asterope and Alcyone. Alcyone is the principal star and the others are within one degree of Alcyone. More on Plaeides soon...

But gentle reader, someday when you travel the infinite space searching for yourself and come across 7 magnificent stars in the shape of a key - slow down, look around... Somewhere in Plaeides lies the secret of your existence.

Comments

Maddie said…
"42"

That's the answer to the eternal question of the universe. The Key to the secrets of the universe.

Know what i mean?

:)

Me.
Eternally Hitchhiking!
Twilight Fairy said…
sigh.. i remember those nights in the lawn :'(.. miss that time sorely..
Deepa said…
totally! 42 it is :) and we are all just organic lab material for the rats! seriously, there wasnt no one better than d.a.

and fairy, i miss the lawns toooooo!!! the 1st yr walks from hostel to the mess!! :))

Most loved posts